Sunday, October 26, 2008

Shige's

We ate at Shige's Saimin in Wahiawa yesterday - my favorite place to eat these days. It was a perfect day to eat saimin - cold and rainy!! I had a small won ton min, which is won ton with saimin. The saimin here is the homemade curly kine. It's the perfect saimin to me!



Along with my saimin, I had a barbeque burger (Hawaii people like to eat a saimin and burger combo). The hamburger is home style so it has breading in it and makes it really soft.



L and S each had saimin....



E had a mini teri beef plate, local plate lunch style with one scoop rice and mac salad. He loves his teri beef! The teri beef here is very glazy as you can see.



Mom and dad joined us for lunch and mom had a hamburger steak plate, which is the same home style hamburger, smothered in gravy and onions, with rice and mac salad. Dad had a won ton min.



Shige's is always crowded. If you go at around lunchtime, expect to wait. The food there is awesome and the service is good. They definitely have da bes saimin - better than Hamura's or Sam Sato.

Saimin is one of those things unique to Hawaii, like the crack seed store, shave ice, and plate lunch with rice and mac salad. Tourists come to Hawaii and go to places like Paradise Cove for their luau, but while local people eat lau lau and poi once in awhile, the real Hawaii is saimin and spam musubi.

1 comment:

angelpoo said...

OMG! I love glazy teri beef! And I totally agree with you. When my friends come, they like go luau and Duke's. I no blame them coz it's their first time in Hawaii. But second time around, I take em' local food.