Saturday, October 11, 2008

I'm proud of my team




We played a hard game today. The opposing team played really dirty. They were pushing, kicking our players, and hitting the ball with their hands. The ref was so clueless that he wasn't calling fouls. The ref didn't even know the difference between corner kicks and goal kicks. He was even going to let someone throw in from the goal line before I yelled out that it was a corner kick.

Our kids were really disheartened at half time. They were complaining about getting pushed and kicked. Yet our team didn't push back, and the kids didn't lose their composure when the game started back up. I spoke to the ref at halftime, but that was pointless because how could I expect him to be aware of player interaction when he was just trying to concentrate on the basic rules!

Despite the fact that we were outscored 5 to 2, I feel like we won because we played a good, clean game, with good sportsmanship. Our kids are awesome!!

2 comments:

angelpoo said...

That other stupid team, I mean...oooops, MEAN TEAM! I am proud of you that you didn't tell your kids to play dirty. If it were me, I would've fired the ref. If I couldn't fire the ref, I would make sure he won't show up at the next game. This pisses me off. Players make mistakes, ok fine, the coach can ding him. When the ref makes a mistake, it ruins the whole game!

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

Yeah! Unfortunately, it's hard enough to get parents to volunteer to ref. The other coach should have been more proactive. We work hard at practices to be aggressive and fair at the same time.