Thursday, January 8, 2009

Scallops

My dad lent me this really cool tool called a Fein Multimaster. It's an oscillating tool with different attachments. Here I have it shown with one of the sanding attachments.



I used it to scallop the frets on one of my guitars. Scalloping on guitars is something that Yngwie Malmsteen and Ritchie Blackmore do. It's typically done on lutes, not so much on guitars. It's nice because you don't feel the fretboard under your fingers. Notice I went too far on some of the scallops and into the side position markers. It doesn't affect anything, it just looks kinda ugly. But the guitar is all beat up anyway so it doesn't matter much.



I also cut the heel away from the neck joint - it allows me to play the high notes easier. This was so easy to do with the Multimaster.



The other thing I did was to put a back carve in to the upper portion of the back.



Finally, here's the assembled neck and body. When I reattached the neck and the body I used some shorter screws, and the joint is now rock solid whereas there was some shift previously. Holy smokes, it feels like a set neck guitar - it's that tight!



Next I need to do some fretwork and some work on the nut, then shield the cavities with shielding paint, and then wire up the electronics. This could be my number 1 guitar after all the mods!

No comments: