Sunday, January 11, 2009

Grand Am, Part I

Every year, the class that my daughter is in has a Grand Am. Parents are supposed to make a car out of a cardboard box. I made one for my son when he was there, and this year I wanted to make something different for my daughter. About a year ago I was thinking about it and wanted to make Cinderella's Carriage, which is shaped like a pumpkin.

The frame is made out of cardboard. It took a LONG time to make it! To get the first curved pieces attached to the circular horizontal pieces was REALLY hard, so I ended up suspending it from my newly installed ceiling storage to attach the pieces.



Next I put some newspaper around the frame, then put poster paper around that. Now it looks like a big ole garlic! I wish it looked smoother, but I don't think I want to make changes at this point. I am debating painting it either pearlescent white or orange like a pumpkin. Originally I was going to do it changing from a carriage back to a pumpkin but I don't think the scale warrants that level of detail and I'm sure it would confuse some kids.




After I paint it I'll need to add the wheels, and put a lid of leaves around the top. I think the wheels might take a while, to fix to make it kid proof. Oh, and also I gotta start thinking about the suspenders for my daughter to wear it.

No comments: