Saturday, January 10, 2009

Measure twice, cut once

The old adage "measure twice, cut once" doesn't tell you one very important piece of information. And that piece of information is: "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THRICE, DUMMY".

I was installing a ceiling storage system in my garage this morning, which was the source of that enlightenment. Actually, I had installed one of these before, so I rushed through the instructions and didn't carefully read the following:



I actually had mistaken it to say 69" on center. I spent so much time making sure everything was perfectly centered, everything was perfectly square, and everything was exactly to dimension, and that one measurement was off!! Fortunately it was really easy to move two of the downrods over from this:



And after that it was relatively easy to finish up.



All I need to do now is to patch up the mistake holes, and no one will know the better. Except everyone who has read this post.

1 comment:

angelpoo said...

Ha ha!!! That's ok, I never read instructions and mess up so many times. At least you learn from your mistakes. I don't...