Thursday, January 8, 2009

Lomo Saltado



Years ago (many many years ago) my brother in L.A. turned me on to this place near Hollywood called Mario's Peruvian Restaurant. I love that place - the food is excellent. Because Peru has such a large Japanese population (the president's name is something like Julio Yamamoto), a lot of the dishes have a Japanese element as well as a south American element.

One of the more popular dishes in Lomo Saltado. The one I did last night for dinner was a modified Food Network recipe I found online. First I marinated the thinly sliced flank steak in shoyu, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder (I was too lazy to do fresh garlic), cumin and pepper. I heated up my wok (carefully as to not cause a fire) and stir fried the beef, onions and bell peppers. At the last minute I added the tomatoes, and after I turned it off I mixed in the McDonalds french fries. This turned out so good there were practically no leftovers!

I think next time I'll try adding a squeeze of lime juice and some minced cilantro.

1 comment:

angelpoo said...

Oooooo, I think I'm gonna try and make this dish too! Thanks Chef Imata!