Wednesday, December 23, 2009

More opakapaka

Last night's opakapaka turned out much better than the previous one. As I predicted, the high pressure burner heated the oil really quickly, about 8 minutes. Here's the opakapaka in the oil - I could have added more oil to immerse the fish completely, but that would have been too much oil just to cook its tail.


It came out quite nice. Once again I took it out to early and the inside was underdone, so I put it back in, but only for a minute. When I took it out it was much more tender and flaky than the last time I overcooked it.


Everybody at the pot luck seemed to enjoy it, so I'm confident that it will come out decent on Christmas day.

I think next time I will stand it up on it's bottom. At the pot luck, when one side got eaten and I flipped it over, all the grease had settled to the bottom. If I had more time to experiment, I would try cutting the fish in half lengthwise.

No comments: