Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fried Opakapaka



For Christmas dinner, my brother-in-law is coming over. He doesn't eat meat or poultry, so I'm making a whole fried opakapaka. The trouble is, I've never made one before! So I found some at Tamashiro market, our big fish market here in Honolulu. I bought two - one to experiment on, and the other for Christmas dinner.

Here was my first attempt. It came out quite well, if a bit overdone. First I put some "dragon wings" on by slicing the sides to the bone. I salted it lightly and dredged with a 50/50 mixture of cornstarch and flour. Then I fried in my wok in canola oil. I'll make a sweet sour sauce for the Christmas dinner.

6 comments:

B said...

That looks so good. I could eat it just like that with a little ponzu.

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

That's a good idea! I'll serve it with different sauces - maybe one will be ponzu, another sweet sour, then something else.... maybe black beans.

sdwcc said...

DMSC: post some pics of the new high power propane stove & big huge wok

sdwcc said...

oh, and btw, nice opak!

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

Will do sdwcc! I just made a beef broccoli with it tonight and it turned out good. The wok got hot SUPER fast! Fortunately there was nothing to burn down if the wok caught fire, unlike my previous attempt!!

sdwcc said...

Still awake huh? Cant wait to see the pics.