Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Eh HOWZIT!!

There was this guy that was in my Mechanical Engineering class back in 1986. I believe a year after that, he dropped out of Engineering and went into Computer Science.

Fast forward to around 2000 - I had been working for 4 years for the State, and this guy gets a job in my building. The first time he sees me, he's all like "Hey Ryan!" and I'm all like "Eh... howzit!!" (because I couldn't for the life of me remember his name, after only having him in one class 14 years earlier).

For years, my friends have joked with me about the guy named "Eh howzit". Every time he sees me, he says "Hey Ryan" and I say "Eh howzit!". I really should have just asked him his name the first time I saw him, but after seeing him like 12 times, I'd feel like a fool asking him his name.

After 9/11, we were required to wear our badges around the building. One day I'm wearing my badge, buying a soda at the snack shop, and I see him. I say "eh howzit..... where's your badge?" (hoping I can get a glimpse of his name on his badge). He replies "I leave it in the office". Dang.

Then a few years later, I'm standing in line with my son at McDonalds and he's a few people in front of me. He turns and says "hey Ryan" and I say (say it with me) "Eh howzit!". My son then proceeds to loudly ask me "DADDY, WHO IS THAT?" Well, at that point, I can't say "oh, that's Eh Howzit".

A few years back, he leaves our building to work for another division.

Fast forward to today. My wife and I are sitting in a restaurant and who should walk in but "Eh, Howzit". He walks in with my Aunt's brother, who immediately sees us and starts talking to us. As they're leaving, I hold him back and ask him "what's that guy's name", and he tells me "oh, that's Jared".

A long standing mystery, solved at last.

And by the way, if I ever see you on the street and say "eh howzit", please, please, just tell me "hey Ryan, I'm (insert your name here)", because as evidenced by this post, I am REALLY crappy with names.

No comments: