Sunday, September 21, 2008

Good as new

We went to Sears today to buy a new microwave, so that we don't have to look at the burnt one too long as a reminder of my stupidity (not to mention we use our microwave often). It was pretty easy, as my friend Gary advised me it would be. I encountered some small but not insurmountable problems. The mounting bracket had slightly different mounting points, but I didn't want to redrill through the Corian backsplash. So I just drilled new holes in the mounting bracket instead to match the holes in the Corian. Thin gauge steel is easy to drill through. The other problem was that for some reason, there was metal sandwiched between the two cabinet bottoms, that I had a hard time drilling through. Metal shards were flying everywhere as I was drilling. Note to self: invest in a pair of safety glasses soon.

My next door neighbor is a good man. He came over and helped me unhinge the old and very greasily burnt microwave, then took it to the dump for me.

Before:



After:



I also bought a new wok from Macy's. I'm not gonna be scorching oil anytime soon though.

No comments: