Friday, February 4, 2011

My foray into veganism, day 1

Inspired by Oprah Winfrey's staff's recent 1 week experiment with veganism, along with my recent viewing of Food Inc., I decided to attempt three days of vegan eating. This will be difficult for several reasons. Obviously, the first is that I love eating fish and dairy (see previous posts)! The second is that I have to also accommodate my family, who are not and will not be vegans. Finally, since I am on Weight Watchers and have so far lost 20 pounds, I need to make sure I find enough foods to fill out my allowance of points.

Since I typically don't eat meat for breakfast, my breakfast this morning was pretty typical, though I had to cut a few items out. Every day, I eat plain oatmeal with a little bit of olive oil butter, a piece of double fiber whole wheat toast with olive oil butter, two veggie sausages, and some egg substitute scramble. Since vegan restricts both dairy and eggs, I took out the olive oil butter (which is made with cream) and the egg substitute. Oh, and I also had a handful of almonds.


For lunch, I usually eat a lot of fruits in addition to some kind of protein. Today for lunch I had Amy's organic lentil soup, organic tortilla chips, organic salsa, and some strawberries and blueberries.


I had a FiberPlus Antioxidants bar for an afternoon snack, then for dinner I had a Morningstar Farms veggie patty, some zucchini with Italian dressing, and a cup of unsweetened apple sauce.


I also walked down to school to pick up my kids, and I cleaned the tiles in the back. But despite (or perhaps because of) eating no meat or dairy today, I feel really good! Day 1 was a success!!

No comments: