Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thanks again Sam!

On Saturday afternoon, I went over to my neighbor Sam's house to ask for some rosemary from her herb garden. She wasn't home, but her husband told me to go around back and help myself. Sam was the neighbor who had brought over the screwpine (lauhala) leaves that I used a couple of months ago to make Thai chicken.

Last night (Monday), we were totally wiped out from a hectic four day weekend, and I wanted to make a simple dinner. Using up all of the leftover ingredients I had in the fridge (chicken breast, basil, eggplant, onion) and a few things in my pantry (yellow curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, sugar), I decided to make a Thai yellow chicken curry.

In the end, it turned out good, but it was missing something. I spooned some out and was about to start eating, when the doorbell rang. I wondered who it could be, since I spoke to my mom earlier and she didn't hint at coming over, and my son's friend never drops by after dinner.

It turned out to be Samantha, my neighbor with the herb garden. She brought over some kaffir lime leaves.


Considering that I make curry maybe four times a year, and she drops by our house and brings various herbs maybe two or three times a year, you can see the chances of her bringing the missing ingredient in my curry, at the exact moment it is perfect to drop it in, as being about a one in a million chance.

So I added the kaffir lime leaves, stewed it about two minutes more, and then it was perfect.


Thanks again Samantha!!

No comments: