Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saturday morning holo holo

We finally had a free Saturday after months of Soccer Saturdays. We decided to go "holo holo", which in Hawaiian pidgen English means "to go out".

First we visited Palama Market, which is a Korean market, to buy bowls for my aunt's birthday. Palama Market has a really neat selection of namul, which are various seasoned vegetables. This was only part of the whole namul / kim chee bar, there were literally dozens of different types.


After Palama Market, we went to Tanioka's fishmarket. It was insanely crazy there, with a line about 30 deep. Here we bought soy beans, poke (raw fish), a chicken edamame musubi, a salami musubi, and fish patties. We came home and made the lunch plate below, adding stuff we bought from Palama Market (Korean sushi and mini potatoes). It was SO good!!! This truly is a plate lunch that you can only get here in Hawaii.

1 comment:

B said...

Now that's my kind of Saturday morning and my kind of plate lunch! Looks ono. Next time I come home, you know what I'll be wanting to do. I've never been to Palama Market but have heard a lot about it. I could survive off of namul/panchan alone.