Friday, February 20, 2009

Roast duck whole wheat pizza



Nam Fong is a popular shop in Chinatown that sells cooked meats like roast duck, char siu, roast pork, etc. Yesterday we walked into Chinatown, so I stopped at Nam Fong and picked up some duck to make pizza. I also picked up some green onions and plum sauce.

First I made the whole wheat crust, which was Mitch's Pizza Dough Recipe, halved and substituting whole wheat flour for white flour. While the pizza stone was heating, I let the dough rise and mixed together some hoisin and plum sauce. Then I deboned the duck and sliced it into small pieces. After precooking the crust for two minutes, I covered the crust with sauce. Normally I would precook the crust for only a minute, but because the hoisin/plum sauce has so much sugar, I didn't want it to burn. So because I'd have to cook the topped pizza shorter, I wanted to make sure the crust was crispy by precooking it a tad longer. Next I added the duck and covered it with shredded mozzarella. After I took it out, I topped with sliced green onions.

L said that the wheat crust really didn't taste much different from the white ones I usually make.

2 comments:

B said...

That looks really ono! The duck and hoisin and plum sauce go suprisingly well with mozarella don't you think? I'll have to try and make it only I'd have to drive all over town to find roast duck that is up to par with Nam Fong first. No easy task.

angelpoo said...

OMG! This looks so much better than I had imagined. When you described it, it sounded tasty but I didn't quite get the look of the pizza as plum and roast duck all look purple/brown. Because you added the green onion, the pizza looks GREAT! I gotta make that someday.