Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Stellar*

I know I'm supposed to be a scary death metal kinda guy. My favorite band is not death metal. Not even close. My favorite band of all time (as of right now anyway) is Stellar* (the asterisk is part of their name). I love this band. Though they only have three albums, I love em all, start to finish.

I discovered them on a trip to New Zealand in 2000. They had just come out with their first album Mix, which was something like the highest selling domestic record in NZ. A few years later they came out with their second album Magic Line, and about two years ago they came out with their third disc Something Like Strangers.

This song is not real characteristic of their other stuff, but it's one of my favorites that they do. It's "For A While" off of the third disc.

2 comments:

B said...

This is a great song, I'm surprised it didn't make the charts here in the states. (Or did it?) The melody is instantly catchy.

Checked out some of their other stuff on youtube. Their early stuff reminds me of Garbage-the band, not the refuse- and a little of Supreme Beings of Leisure.

Thanks for turning me on to them.

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

Their first album is very Garbage - in fact, they toured with Garbage in Australia and apparently pissed off Shirley Manson because she thought Stellar was ripping them off. The 2nd album is more rocking, and the third album is all over the place but very pop.

I'm glad you like em!! I'll check out Supreme Beings of Leisure - never heard them before.