Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Gravlox

I tried curing some salmon to make gravlox. After my neighbor dropped off some fresh dill, I found a recipe on the internet. It called for 2 cups of kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup fresh dill, and some cracked pepper. I used some smoked pepper.

This is what it looked like coated on Sunday afternoon.



This morning (Tuesday) I took it out, rinsed it, then sliced it as thin as possible. The texture was perfect, but it was too salty even after the first rinse. So I soaked it in water and now it tastes much better.

3 comments:

B said...

Thanks for posting this one. I definitely have to give it a try.

Do you think if the curing time was reduced it would be less salty or was it just the rinsing that needed to be longer? Also, once cured, how long does it keep in the fridge?

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

It would probably be less salty with both less curing time and more rinsing. I thought rinsing just meant taking all of the salt mixture off.

When it's pure salty, I'm sure it will keep in the fridge for a long time. I still have some, I'll try it and let you know if I get a sore stomach.

angelpoo said...

Thanks for offering! They were so ono.