Sunday, April 19, 2009

Beef Tomato



Chinese people like to stir fry things. It's probably because a lot of raw veggies in China are irrigated with raw sewage. Even though I'm just speculating, when was the last time you walked into a Chinese restaurant and saw raw veggies other than the Chinese chicken salad?

I think Beef Tomato is an adapted Hawaii Chinese dish. It's a lot sweeter than the typical Chinese stir fry dish. I like it because it has a lot of different vegetables in it, which includes onions, celery, bell peppers and tomatoes.

One place that Beef Tomato is a fixture at is the neighborhood Chop Suey, which is a dying breed. Back in old Hawaii, there were always these Chop Suey restaurants located in the middle of a mixed residential business area. And the name of the restaurant was always preceeded by it's locale - Manoa Chop Suey, Palolo Chop Suey, McCully Shop Suey, etc. Nowadays it's all that generic mainland style choose-your-own Panda Express stuff sprouting up all over the place. Screw that! I want to order a lunch plate at a place where you don't get a choice - you get sweet sour spareribs, kau yuk, noodles, a fried won ton, and fried rice (for $1 extra). You get what the Chinese cook tells you is good, you don't get to choose!!

Anyway, Beef Tomato is something that you mostly get at a good, Hawaii Chop Suey. For mine, I start by marinating sliced flank steak in a mixture of shoyu, sugar, chicken stock, sherry and oyster sauce, then I stir fry it in hot oil (being careful not to ignite a fire and destroy your microwave). I take out the beef and then stir fry the vegetables, starting with the onions, then the celery, garlic and bell peppers. I put the beef back in and then stir in the tomatoes, and the marinade stock and some extra oyster sauce. I finish it off with some cornstarch. Yum! Gotta have plenty rice with this one!

1 comment:

angelpoo said...

That's a pretty darn good tomato beef! Well, I don't think tomato beef is a hawaii thing. I have eaten all my life, more so when I was still growing up in Hong Kong. Nice try tho!