Wednesday, March 18, 2009

More guitar nerdity

I bought a cheap guitar on Craigslist and started swapping out the electronics. Initially I ordered regular sized pots to replace the old ones, but when I tried to pre-fit them before wiring them, I noticed the control holes were so close to the cavity edge that one would need mini pots. So I ordered some mini pots. Last night I checked to see if they were the right diameter and sure enough they were, so I made a little cardboard wiring harness and started soldering.



After about a half an hour, everything was wired and I plugged it in to test - and everything sounded great!

So I proceeded to insert the pots through the control holes.... and..... the shafts were too short! Aaargh!! Here's the old long shaft pot and the new short shaft.



Now I gotta desolder everything and just try using the old pots. Oh well, lesson learned - even though you measure twice and cut once, sometimes you gotta measure all dimensions, even the not so obvious ones!!

Here's the guitar prior to the pickup swap (notice it's red but it's different from the one in my previous post):

No comments: